Editorial & Advertising Policies
Focus Middle Tennessee Editorial & Advertising Policies
1. About Focus Middle Tennessee
Focus Middle Tennessee is a Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT)-centric magazine (in print and online) providing information and views about, and of interest to, members of the LGBT community and its allies.
Focus Middle Tennessee aims to:
- Offer content that is friendly, uplifting and educational to both the LGBT community and non-LGBT.
- Encourage LGBT respect and understanding through the sharing of stories and news.
- Articulate to the non-LGBT community the LGBT place in an equal society. Focus does not seek to cause controversy, publish explicit sexual content, or practice political grandstanding.
- Give public expression to the LGBT involvement in legal, religious, cultural and social issues. Focus does not seek to create news, nor does it seek to oppress opinion. The publisher has the sole right to refuse publication of material that it deems offensive, off-topic, false, lewd, lascivious or otherwise indecent. The publisher also reserves the right to correct all content for grammar and spelling.
- Publish story bylines and brief biographies of contributors.
- Offer a constructive appraisal of LGBT life within the wider community.
- Provide an advertising vehicle for the products and services of the LGBT community and its allies, and to encourage the use of those advertisers products and services.
- Provide a forum and a voice for LGBT persons.
- Professional Ethics
In pursuing its aims, Focus Mid-South is committed to the highest ethical and professional standards. The publisher has the sole right to refuse publication of material that it deems offensive,
Its Editor and staff shall:
- Report news and interpret editorial contributions with honesty, striving to present relevant facts and not suppressing or distorting relevant available facts by wrong or improper emphasis.
- Emphasize news and opinions of interest to the gay community while respecting that everyone is entitled to equal rights under the law.
- Respect confidences received in the course of their work in all circumstances.
- Use fair and honest means to obtain news, pictures, films, tapes and documents.
- Identify themselves and the magazine before obtaining an interview for publication.
- Respect personal privacy; abide by the legal definition of public space when taking photographs for publication (public spaces are generally defined as places where the public is invited in, e.g. bars, restaurants, festivals, demonstrations, public parties and events, etc.).
- Correct any published information found to be harmfully inaccurate.
- Allow no personal interests to influence professional duties.
- Allow no consideration, gift or advantage offered to influence any professional duties.
- Allow no advertising or commercial considerations to influence their journalism.
- Advertising Policy
The Editor shall accept or refuse advertising content based on the advertising policy. The publisher has the sole right to refuse publication of material that it deems offensive, off topic, false, lewd, lascivious or otherwise indecent. The publisher also reserves the right to correct all content for grammar and spelling.